Helen and Douglas House
Helen and Douglas House provides hospice care for terminally ill babies, children and their families.
We provide medical, emotional, and practical support, helping families deal with the implications of living with a child who will die prematurely, so they can make the most of their time together.
With your support, we were able to continue to care for local terminally ill children and their families throughout the crisis last year and we will continue to do so in 2021. Like everyone else, we have had to change the way we do that.
We have conducted more home visits and telephone or video calls to families than ever before and we have also provided end of life care for a number of children and their families at our hospice during the lockdown period. Thanks to people like yourselves, we have been able to provide vital care to local terminally ill children.
‘Whilst we have been able to access some financial help from the Government, we cannot continue to care for children without public support so please continue to support us and donate to help children who need your help now’.
Our priority is to continue to operate our service at the hospice and in the community to ensure that all children have access to specialist palliative care.
For the time being, we are able to give children and their families the following care:
- 24/7 telephone support- our care team are here to discuss any of your concerns about your child’s health (for all Coronavirus (COVID-19) queries please go to NHS 111)
- Access to telephone advice from the medical team
- Admission for complex symptom management
- Stepped discharge from hospital
- Admissions to address persistent symptoms
- Supportive stays which include giving families a break from the intensity of caring for a sick child
- Family support team telephone contact
- Outreach nursing visits for symptom management
- Bereavement support
- Social work support
- Siblings activities and support via telephone or virtual platforms
It is clear that we are still living with the virus and normal life as we knew it will not be returning for some time and we will continue to adapt to whatever changes we need to make in order to keep everyone safe. We want to continue to care for the terminally ill children who need us right now. Children nearing the end of their lives need our help and we want to be here for them and with your support we will be able to do so.
Current Amount Raised for Helen and Douglas House
Helen and Douglas House
14A Magdalen Road